Monday, January 25, 2010

Magic & Monsters

Is the name of Hackett's game, by the way.

I played a solo game to test run the system again, and these are the armies I used;

Good Forces~~~
13 humans with studded armor and spears (DF 8) for 143 points
10 elves with leather armor, bows and sword (DF 7) for 90 points
8 plate mail clad knights with swords and small shields (DF 11) for 168 points
Hero with +3 plate armor, small shield, and +3 lance mounted on a griffin (DF 11) for 147 points
Human wizard on flying carpet with magic amulet +3 and 15 MA of spells (DF 9) for 201 points
Warforged wizard with a +3 plate armor body and 5 MA of spells (DF 13) for 90 points

...which really totals 839 points, more than what I meant but I didn't feel any need to change that. The majority of the minis are from DDM but the knights are empire from GW and the griffin is an old BIG model from mage knight.

Ebil Forces~~~
20 orc warriors with chain armor, small shields, and maces (DF 8) for 200 points
10 hobgoblins with studded armor, bows and swords (DF 8) for 100 points
5 goblins on giant spider mounts with small shields and spear (DF 6) for 230 points
Orc warlord with +3 plate armor and +3 great sword (DF 12) for 69 points

Orc warlord with +3 chain armor, small shield and +3 sword (DF 12) for 69 points

Giant cyclops for 100 points


...mostly made up of DDM except the giant cyclops which is also and old mage knight large figure.


I played thi solo and added in a little mechanic that each unit had to roll the dice and not score doubles to act. This was basically a light mechanic to determine if the unit was under command correctly, confused, afraid, or what have you. Of interest was that no unit rolled doubles the entire match, so it effectively did nothing, BUT it could have done something...LOL! I played the game for four turns and didn't really worry about vicory. Each side wanted to try to exit a unit on the other side's deployment zone and wanted to defeat the other armies' heroes.


So, anyway, not to throw a turn by turn at you I will hit the highlights.


The orc warriors held their center the majority of the match as there was just so many of them. The spears hit them head on but it took the combined efforts of the archers and the spears to send them off by turn four.

The spiders attempted to make their way off the enemy's deployment zone but were intercepted by the knights, as you could guess, and put to. Only three knights survived though as the spiders had so many attacks one unit of five was actually like fighting twenty, if I'm doing it right that is. Each spider had four claws and one bite attack and then the goblins had one. I made that this was equivalent to thirty models, so three bouts of 10 were read on the chart.

The giant and Griffon mounted hero went to it immediately and I thought the griffon mounted hero would have the advantage (getting two hero rolls vs the giant's one) but the giant won out and slew his enemy in turn three.

The wizards should have dominated better but the magic I randomly rolled (it seemed the best way to do it) just didn't work out well. Plus the human wizard on the flying carpet took a hobgoblin arrow to the head with a lucky roll for the hobgoblins.

Over all I had fun, I know I was just playing with myself (huh huh) but it was action packed enough to keep me interested.

I'm really growing an appreciation for Hackett's rules. They have a freshness, to me at least, that is making me look at other wargame rules differently.

2 comments:

  1. I do believe that, that is almost the way to handle the spiders.
    I think it should have been rolled as 5 animal bite attackers. Then done as 10 animal claws, 10 animal claws, 5 animal claws. But I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I think you have the right of it. I forgot to take into account the different factors to the target's defense factor according to animal claws and anmial bites. I MAY have even just treated them all as animal bites.

    ReplyDelete

Counter