Wednesday, January 5, 2011

52 Weeks of War ... Battle #1: Defend the Towers

I'm not much for new year's resolutions as they just seem insurmountable to me but I do like to try to make plans for the upcoming year and these tend to repeat themselves;
  • Loose a little weight
  • Eat less sweets
  • Eat healthier
  • Do something fantastic in my career
  • Be a better husband and father
...you get the idea. Well, one of my plans this year involves my hobby, not something common for me. A lot of bloggers plan to paint a certain number of figures and keep records of this but I am neither that dedicated nor that organized. But my real grip with my hobby is that I don't get to use it that much in my opinion. I paint figures, dozens of them, and they don't get used for months... or years in some cases. So, I've decided to to aim to fight 52 battles over the year 2011. I'd like to play at least one per week an this may mean I need to play some solo war games as I might not always have an opponent. Also, I would like to photojournal the battles but I've already screwed that up so I make no promises.

The first battle took place with my son Christian and myself playing Hordes of the Things. I've not really played this game and he has not either so it was also a learning experience for us both. I have two 15mm HOTT armies though as you might know at this point so we built from those and went to it. I played the goblin horde and he played the high elves. We rolled off and I won making him the defender.

The high elves consisted of 1x hero general; 1x magician; 3x knights; 3x spears; 1x behemoth (griffin).

The goblin horde consisted of 1x warband general; 5x warband; 2x riders; 2x shooters; 1x behemoth.

His home base was a couple paint pots to represent a pair of high elf towers as I have not built bases for the armies yet. We played on an old ceiling tile that was not standard size battle field although I'm not sure how small and we drew just a couple of forrest on it as bad going. Deploying our forces I blocked up the six warband elements (three in front and three in support) and the behemoth to their left. On the left flank I placed the two riders and to the right flank the two shooters. Christian placed three knights, behemoth and magician in the middle as a single black with the magician behind an element of knights. On his left flank in front of the towers he placed the three spears with the hero general in a two by two formation.

I can't give a play by play but there were three significant points of the battle. In the second or third bound my his knights/behemoth/magician block crashed into my warbands/behemoth block and he had a rough go. Two of the knights were destroyed and the third forced to recoil while I lost nothing. For the next several turns the knight and behemoth continued to fight back and forth until he was able to destroy four of the six warbands (not the general thankfully). On the left the riders engaged the magician several times but failed to eliminate him and he failed to either destroy them through magic or through battle. Eventually I split the two elements up and this allowed him to eliminate them in the long term. On the right my remaining forces engaged the spears and hero general and surprisingly held their own even tot he point of destroying all the spears. As the end game drew near it came down to my general warband and behemoth vs. his magician and hero general near the towers. I pushed forward several times and tried to reach the towers but were rebuffed each time with by the hero general. The magician attempted magic but failed, eventually we called it a draw.

I feel the battle went very well, high casualties on both sides but neither of us dominated at any point and fought to a draw. Christian did not feel so though and was frustrated by his low rolls and the inability of the magician to destroy with magic. I hope he plays again, I really enjoy playing war games with my sons but they are not very interested.

Well, that is battle one of fifty-two done, lets see how the others go eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter