Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Oooh, that's a Bingo. Is that the way you say it, That's a bingo?"

"You just say bingo."

And I've got a bingo! I spend a lot of time reading books of all kinds; history books, fiction, fantasy, rule books and so forth. I read a lot of RPG books because I'm always looking for that one that has the right mix of complex and easy to be a good RPG as I see and RPG. I know I don't play any more but this is something that has been going on since Dungeons & Dragons for me and I don't see a reason to stop now.

ANYWAY I recently ran across a game called Dragon Warriors which was originally published in 1985 by Corgi Books in a unusual six paper back book format. Considering the game has existed for 26 years and I never heard of it till three days ago this does my heart good. It is nice to have a hobby that can stills surprise you so many years later.... or I'm that out of the loop.
Original cover of book 1
This was republished by Magnum Opus Press in 2008 and this is the copy I have been reading through. I LOVE IT! I've got a few bones to pick about modern RPGs and one of those is ability scores. I always feel like they become superfluous after character generation as that 18 typically holds no value beyond its modifier. There are some games that make active use of ability scores (cough cough Rolemaster cough cough) but I'm of a mind if you have the score you should use it as such. Learning D&D I was taught to roll on a D20 vs a score to determine some successes, so a stronger fighter could open a door easier. Now I know AD&D has the OD/LG but I learned on red book and that did not have such a score. Dragon Warriors seems to make active use of such scores and I like the simplicity of the combat as well. I could go on and on and on but I won't. I just wanted to encourage everyone to take a look at it, Mongoose Publishing has it on sale for a relative good price so if you are looking for an RPG to try I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter