Thursday, June 2, 2011

Warbands Collide

My friend Ron came over on Tuesday night to pit his High Elf war band against my Lizardmen war band. There is a 750 point tournament this year at Origins and I'm pretty excited about playing in it. So far no one BUT me has signed up but I'm hoping that changes in the next few weeks.

Sigh...

ANYWAY I wanted to get some practice with such a small force so I invited/challenged Ron's elves. I brought to bear the army list given last post, but the skink priest is now carrying the Ironcurse Icon, seems like a more likely to be used item for a tournament. Ron fielded Caradryan, 10 phoenix guard, a reaper bolt thrower and 23 sea guard. Quite a dangerous 750 points. Caradryan's magic resistance of 3 completely screwed my skink priest if he got any magic missile spells, which he did; both Uranon's Thunderbolts and Chainlightning. I elected to drop chain lightning for Iceshard Blizzard, two casting costs of 10 or higher may be a little much for a level 2 wizard.

We lined up our forces and rolled for first turn, which he won. Not knowing what scenario will be played at the tournament (if it happens) we went for a straight forward pitched battle of 4 turns.
Deployment at the beginning of the game.

Turn 1: The phoenix guard marched towards my stegadon, the sea guard moved (and fired) and the bolt thrower predictably just waited to fire. The elf shooting was only so so with the skink unit suffering a total of 3 losses. As he had no wizard and no remains in play spells were in play we skipped the magic phase. I marched my saurus, moved my skinks and held back the stegadon since it was a roll of 8 to charge and I wanted to try the great bow which is something I don't use very often. I was hoping his phoenix guard would try a failed charge next turn or just march forward. My magic phase was... interesting... as I had 10 power dice and threw six to cast thunderbolt on his bolt thrower and even threw the total power/miscast so he couldn't dispel it. I nailed the unit with five hits out of a possible six, all of which hit the war machine and all failed to wound it. Then I rolled on miscast and BLASTED my own unit with a large template wounding my priest, killing several skinks and almost killing a kroxigor. What a mess, but I did get to throw blizzard on his guard giving me some advantage if I get the charge next turn.
End of Turn One
Turn 2: He held ground with all units, which is not what I wanted at all. His missile fire was pretty solid and reduced the skink unit to only a single kroxigor and a handful of skinks. On my turn I charged his sea guard successfully and his phoenix guard (a roll of 7 and 8 respectively to be successful). My magic was a failure as he dispelled my thunderbolt but again cast blizzard on his guard which he failed to dispel. Close combat was brutal, my saurus warriors chopped up some of his sea guard and they fled but I failed to catch them by 1 inch (ugh). The stegadon smashed into his phoenix guard, they slew all the skinks in the howdah when I failed a ton of saving throws, and I won the fight by one but he did not flee. As an aside, his bolt thrower made their panic roll so they didn't run either!
End of Turn Two
Turn 3: The sea guard rallied, the bolt thrower blasted my skink unit again but didn't do much damage (he rolled badly). His close combat phase was bad for me, the stegadon was beaten only because he had a standard and I failed my leadership roll causing it to flee which he ran down. They ran right by the skink priest that made his panic roll. My turn saw a charge on the sea guard again and the bolt thrower with my skink spinning on the spot to look at the backs of the remaining phoenix guard with magic in his mind. The thunderbolt did successfully slay two of the remaining four models, which was quite an accomplishment considering Caradryan's magic resistance but they didn't flee either which sucked. close combat saw the sea guard beaten and flee off the table and only one of the two bolt thrower crew being slain, as well as me loosing a skink! Neither ran though.
End of Turn Three
Turn 4: Not much happened so to sum it up: I killed the last crew man and he spun his last phoenix guard around with Caradryan leaving the unit (of one). This was so he could align the two getting a better aim on the wizard for a charge, which was pretty solid tactics if there was another turn. I ran by them of course, didn't really want to get him charged.
End of Turn Four
At the end of the game I had scored 305 points from the sea guard and he had scored 235 from the stegadon so it was a near victory for me. Another couple of turns I'm fairly confident I could have killed the last phoenix guard... and PROBABLY Caradryan but I can't guarantee that he is a tough bugger. Ron played really well except he forgot his re-rolls with ASF. I really shouldn't have threw the stegadon into the hero led heavy infantry with a ward save, but I was really just wanting to test its power. I've not lost my stegadon often and I didn't mind loosing it this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter