Sunday, August 14, 2011

Blood and Glory! (batrep)

Last week my friend Darrell brought over his WoC army and fielded them for the first time. I took some photos and thought it would be nice to put a batrep up. My batreps are never that detailed but they are liberally peppered with idiosyncrasies that I think makes them good reads.

We played a basic pitched battle of 2,500 points and I set up the battlefield. A mysterious river, two mysterious woods, a stone watch tower, a couple 'fences' in the form of stone walls and a ruin that was an idol of Gork (or possibly Mork) and we were set to go. We rolled off and I got to pick deployment and went with the opposite side of the river knowing his deployment would be "split" but not really. Rivers mostly do not impede movement but the mysterious nature made him nervous.

We began deployment and I will combine that with army build...

ON MY SIDE: I placed saurus warrior cohort of 40 with command dead center of my zone. To their left went a skink and kroxigor cohort that was 32 and 4 strong. To the far left flank went a troop of 5 terradon riders, their premier on the battlefield even! To the right of the saurus center was the stegadon (a true staple of my army) and to its right was a salamander hunting pack of 2 with 8 handlers. Far on my right flank stood ready a cohort of 10 cold one cavalry. Behind my line stood my slann (Quetxapopalotl) with a loyal skink priest. Quetxapopalotl carried the plaque of dominion and the cupped hands of the old ones while his priestly retainer carried the cube of darkness. The priest could only take the lore of heavens and he was a level one and took the signature spell, the slann took the lore of metal which seemed like a good idea against the WoC and his discipline allowed him all seven spells.

ON HIS SIDE: His center consisted of 10 chosen ready to rip some heads off. To their right stood a unit of 10 knights of chaos looking terrible, to their right was a hungry hellcannon and nearby was a nice regiment of marauders. To the chosen's left stood a chaos sorcerer on a chaos dragon (the general) and behind him a warshrine. Further right stood two regiments of 12 chaos warriors; one with pole arms and the other with dual hand weapons. Deployed opposite my cold one cavalry was a unit of 10 marauder horsemen.

Deployment...
I don't know about his tactics but mine had three aspects; flank the enemy with my terradons to drop rocks on the hellcannon, flank his line with my cold one cavalry, and hold my ground using what little missilery I had to reduce his numbers. I was unsure how much damage the terradons could really do and I know a hellcannon is a tough nut to crack but I was hopeful that it would break loose if I killed the crew and go crazy on his side. I knew the cold one cavalry could really do some hurt but I just needed to be patient and not let them go nuts, I had given them the skavenpelt banner so they would have frenzy but that meant keeping them out of charge range. Over all I was really counting on my magic, giant bow and salamanders to do some hurt.

Turn 1: I won initiative and did very little, I "marched" my terradons on a wide flanking route and I moved the salamanders forward hoping for a successful fire spout. Magic turned out to be out of range but I dropped a couple augment spells on my units. I did not think they would do any good that turn but better safe when you roll eleven power dice. The salamanders proved to be out of range but the giant bow slung a good shot and hit the dragon successfully inflicting 2 wound on it... I was OVERJOYED at the least.

His turn he moved everything forward everything except the horsemen and the cannon. His magic was not too threatening with my dispels being successful and his cannon did a few casualties to the saurus. I was not too worried as I knew that just 20 saurus could stick it in there for a long time and 40 would be brutal to break. He rolled for the eye of chaos for his chosen but they just got a Ld boost, nice but not threatening to me. I didn't expect to break anything anyway /shrug. He did have to roll on the mysterious river and it turned out to be something that would be dangerous terrain if he did anything BUT a normal move; being the smart guy he is he did only a normal move going into it so had no concerns; it also granted units in it the poison rule.
Turn 1 end...

Turn 2: I shifted a little, moving the saurus up to seem more threatening and the cold one cavalry began their maneuvering toward the flank. If he was going to charge anything with the chaos dragon I wanted it to be the saurus warriors who had the best chance to hold their ground. The salamanders shifted foward again, I needed that fire to do some hurt. My magic phase was okay, I blasted the chosen but did only 1 wound and hexed the knights. I knew there was hurt coming and I dropped an augment on the salamanders that would give their ranged attacks magic and armor piercing. They did successfully hit the closest warriors unit with flame and did a few kills. My giant bow hit the dragon dead center again BUT did not wound him.

On his turn he reformed his marauders to face the terradons and blew a charge with the knights. His horsemen successful charged my cold one cavalry in the flank but the rest of his units just moved forward still out of range. During their charge the marauders discovered the wood was a blood wood, but that amounted to nothing the entire game. His cannon did more hits, but this time on the skink/kroxigor cohort and his sorcerer threw more magic but I dispelled most except an irrepressible spell did a couple kills on the saurus... which was better than them getting sucked into the realm of chaos. There was one close combat and the horsemen surprisingly drove off the cold one cavalry! They failed their leadership roll of 8 on a 6/6/5 and fled towards the edge of the table; he was crushed when his pursuit roll was only a 3 though!
Turn 2 end....
Turn 3: I promptly started my turn by failing the rally roll for my cold one cavalry on a 6/6/4... this was looking bad for a four-hundred some point unit. The saurus called a charge on the sorcerer and dragon which they did successfully and the skinks counter charged the knights since they failed their chance and smashed into them. My terradons flew over the cannon raining down stones. It is worth nothing here his dragon was far enough ahead that the saurus impacted only them... the large unit of chosen was not close enough to be engaged... thank goodness. Magic went very well and I blasted his chosen killed all but one (very very happy with that) and did nothing else as I had few power dice (only 3) and failed with my last spell. Of note here is that my two dice (three with discipline) was cast with irresistible force resulted in a nasty miscast that I used the cupped hands of the old ones to put on his sorcerer instead. The blast killed a couple of my saurus but his sorcerer and dragon both took a wound, well worth it. My missilery did little as the salamanders over shot then ate some skinks and the giant bow did two kills on the warriors of chaos. My falling stones, of which there were 14 of a possible 15, inflicted two wounds on the cannon and killed two of three crew. Close combat was sweet even though is dragon and sorcerer tore up several saurus they successfully killed the wizard and stood their ground, the dragon did not run off though and I had a fight on my hands. The skink and krox cohort took a terrible beating from the knights, but they gave even better back and drove away the knights; KROXIGOR + GREAT WEAPON = KNIGHT KILLER... and couching them in 32 meat shields surely does not hurt.

In his turn Darrell smashed his line into mine where ever he could. A warshrine, a single chosen and a block of warriors of chaos into the saurus; the salamanders welcomed their own close combat with the other block of warriors. His horsemen tried to charge the fleeing cold one cavalry but they failed their charge and even though the cavalry fled they did not flee off the table, it was very close though. His cannon tried to nail my slann but he scattered into no mans land. Close combat was a TERRIBLE MESS and he beat the ever loving crap out of my saurus. Below you can see the before and after shots and see how few are left but they held their ground. His warriors did well against the salamander hunting pack and killed most of the skinks and wounded the salamanders.
Turn 3 center during the close combat...
Turn 3 my right...
Turn 3 my left...
Turn 4: Well at this point it was all in if in at all... The cold one cavalry rallied and turned around to face the oncoming charge. The skink/krox unit charged the marauders rather than be charged and the terradons and stegadon did a pincer on the warriors on the end of the saurus. Magic was weak with some augments and failed spells on few power dice, oh well last turn and all. No missilery at all. Close combat was a psychotic mess, but when the dust cleared his dragon was dead, his war shrine had stood ground and the warriors on the end were no more. He had a miserable go of dice and didn't do the hurt he needed to. My salamanders went down in blood and the marauders killed all but two skinks... four kroxigor were still standing though which was bad for them and they took some fair loss but did not run.

On his turn, game turn by the way, we discussed together options he had. Darrell is new to the game and I didn't want him to miss out on those last turn plans we all do. We did some quick math and realized to pull off a draw he needed to make something run. He tried nailing the terradons first with the canon but we realized it couldn't kill enough so we tried the saurus... again not so much. It really came down to the horsemen and cold one cavalry, but now that they were on their game he couldn't do enough and they struck back hard. The game ended in a victory for me but it was a solidly fought game. He made some common mistakes we all do early on and he won't make them again. I know, I AM SURE, I got lucky this time. My cold ones should have run off the table and my slann was spared attention for the most part.... he won't make those mistakes again.
Turn 4 close combat birds eye...
Turn 4...

I just finished a scad of models that i'll post in the next couple of days... and its late so I'll probably modify this post tomorrow, but I had to get this out before I forgot it all...

NOTE: on the Ultramarines page is an update; tactical squad has been finished and posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter