Monday, January 23, 2012

Batrep: Dark Elves vs. Bretonnia

An impromptu battle formed between myself and the club's resident elf lover, Ron. We agreed to a 1,500 point battle and neither of us knew which of our armies would be fighting. I decided to go with Bretonnians because really they are my home army. I don't have an effective way to cart them from combat to combat so with a fight at my home battlefield it seemed like a fair idea to field them. I build the following army list not knowing what I had coming my way...

  • Lord with questing vow, virtue of knightly temper, heavy armor, great weapon, shield, sword, and sirenne's locket
  • Paladin battle standard bearer with grail vow, virtue of duty, sword and heavy armor
  • Damsel with hand weapon and channeling staff; level 2 wizard, lore of beasts
  • 8 knights of the realm
  • 8 knights errant
  • 5 grail knights
  • 16 peasant bowmen 
  • 20 men-at-arms
  • grail reliquae with 12 battle pilgrims
Not heavy on magic items but I didn't think I'd be facing anything ethereal. I'm not sure exactly what Ron had in his army list but I know it consisted of...
  • A master with heavy armor and great weapon
  • A sorceress
  • 30 spearmen
  • 30 repeater crossbowmen
  • 30 corsairs with two hand weapons
  • 10 cold one knights
He had magic items but I cannot remember what. We rolled and got Blood and Glory and he had a fortitude of 6 to my 8. The first army reduced to 2 fortitude would be the loosing army that would flee the field. Here's how the fight went (keep in mind these are cell phone picture)...
This is deployment, we played a relatively sparse battlefield. The hill was a normal hill and the ruin was just a line of sight blocking piece of terrain. We decided the river was a raging river so that forces could move through it but it would be dangerous terrain. He won the dice roll to go first, and did go first, but he would have anyway as I needed to sacrifice first turn to get the blessing of the lady.
This is the end of turn one. He only edged forward with all his forces and flung some some magic that did not work and his repeater crossbows did one casualty to the peasant bowmen. My knights of the realm led by the lord took the charge on the cold one knights and smashed into them hard, they didn't loose any and in return slew enough that he broke and the knights ran them down. The knights errant engaged the corsairs and did some good harm taking none in return but they held their ground.
End of turn two. His repeater crossbowmen did significant casualties to the battle pilgrims and the corsairs continued to battle the knights errant. His sorceress was throwing both spells basically every turn with me dispelling on the magic missile. My knights errant would be fighting at WS 1 for a while. My pilgrims carried the grail reliquae into battle only to take yet more significant casualties from the stand and fire response of the crossbows. All the close combats proved indecisive, neither side would give ground.
End of turn three. He continued to wing spells which I was having trouble fighting against, my knights errant were still WS 1 thanks to his magic. My damsel had been throwing the amber spear at that sorceress since the beginning of the game and had never landed it yet. The knights move to set up a charge and my men-at-arms charged into the dark elf crossbowmen. My knights errant lost four of their number between the two combats and my men-at-arms and battle pilgrims took terrible beatings but neither combat was conclusive. No one ran, and it looked like no one was going to. At the end of this turn only a single standard had fallen, I had 8 fortitude and he had 5. The fight had been a brutal slug fest the entire time.
End of turn four. Things were very bloody this turn. He moved his general out of danger and moved the spear mean back so I could not charge their flanks. The charge from the grail knights, knights of the realm, lord, and battle standard bearer was just too much for them. 14 died in the combat while only 2 grail knights fell. The lord killed 7 on his own. They fled the table and I successfully kept my knights from following them. the other combats continued to beat on each other trading casualties and standing their ground.
End of turn five. Things had a sudden change. During Ron's turn he killed my knights errant standard reducing my fortitude there and my men-at-arms with reliquae broke the crossbows. The reliquae pursued and ran them down and the men-at-arms held their ground. During my turn the knights reformed to face some foes and the men-at-arms surprisingly successful charged and killed the dark elf general. Men-at-arms are no the best fighters (WS 2) but I got lucky and with five attacks scored two wound which he failed to save. The general was wielding a great weapon so was strapped with ASL and that led to his doom. That reduced the dark elves to a fortitude of 1 which resulted in a Bretonnian victory.

I think what hindered Ron's strategy beyond the wildly lucky dispatch of his cold one knights in the first turn was his threatening blocks hordes of infantry. They were solid combatants, but I think they all got in each others way and he couldn't really bring the spear men to bear. It was a really good game though and we both had a great time. I've not played my Bretonnians many times so it was nice to see them take the field. I look forward to a rematch with Ron, maybe next week at club night!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I clicked your link at the bottom of your Bartertown profile. Nice blog. I'll add you to my blog link page. I'm the guy you've been talking to about the WoW miniatures. I like your blog and I'll be subscribing! check mine out! www.hornedratrob.wordpress.com

    HRR

    ReplyDelete

Counter