Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dwarf Army Started in 1996

Maybe even a little earlier.Some preface if you don't mind, and if you do and want to get right to the pictures please skip to the "Anyway" below.

In 1996 I discovered Warhammer Fantasy Battles and basically the entire realm of miniatues war games. It was the fifth edition of the rules, brand new box set and all. It came packed with Lizardmen and Bretonnians and to this day I still have and use the saurus warriors and skinks that came in that box. Everyone it seemed was playing Bretonnians. The charge of a lance of Knights of the Realm seemed unstoppable and everyone wanted to be unstoppable... except me and my friend Greg. He had always been a fantasy Dwarf playing kind of man. Every role playing character was a dwarf and any time a computer game let you play a dwarf he played one. He is still this way to that day. He started building a dwarf army with the grand plan to build a nice big army and while he has certainly collected a nice HUGE collection of dwarf models he has not truly finished mustering them all. Part of what didn't help was sticking his hand in a lawnmower, but that is a different story and I should let him tell it. I will say he has his hand but it impacted his desire to paint figures if not his ability.

This past year he turned 40 and not knowing what to get the man who has everything I thought the best I could offer was to paint forty dwarfs for his 40th birthday! He seemed to really like the idea and carefully assembled partially finished units so that my meager gift would flesh out these units and he would have several finished ones in all. I was more than happy to do this and after finishing the first couple of units he liked my battlefield paint jobs well enough he traded me some Necrons to help him complete a body of soldiers.

Anyway...here's the pictures...
The heroes of the force: a thane/lord, battle standard bearer, and runesmith/lord. I painted the thane and standard bearer.
Bolt throwers, a unit of 2 with an engineer upgrade between them looking through a spyglass. I did not paint any of these guys but I did base them for him. 
Long beards. I painted about half a dozen of these guys and based them for him. There are 19 here and no champion, he has a champion somewhere and I'm sure it will surface. All of these are very old models and there is a mix of those with flails and shield, great swords, cudgel flails, and sword and shield. I think it is a very characterful unit and with the combat abilities of dwarf long beards I am not looking forward to fighting them at all.
Miners. A mix of original metals and Battle for Skull Pass plastics. I painted the BFSP plastics and based the whole unit for him. There are two commands in a group of 14 but he has plenty more and frankly the look of the two different commands is kinda cool I think.

Quarrelers (they are always fighting among themselves), there are a couple old metals in the mix and mostly multi-part plastics. I did the majority of these models. 

Rangers, looks like quarrelers but they aren't because they also carry HUGE axes. Bugman is in there if you know who he is. I painted just a few of these but went over all of them with some gray for their clothing... they had the most terrible purple clothes and it had to go!

Thunderers, mostly done by me but there are quite a few of the old metals in the group. 

Warriors with hand weapons and shields. I painted the commadn crew for this unit and did a little touch up but nothing more. The two guys on the ends are dressed in gold, got to love that!

Warriors with great weapons. I did about half of these and touched up the uniforms of those I didn't mostly. They are in large part multi-part plastics but that guy on the right is fantastic. Barefoot, bright orange beard and hair, and a patch. 
And here is a total picture. This army comes to over 1800 points with no magic  in it. That is a solid body of  infantry to work from. 
This army reaching the table painted is quite an accomplishment. These models have trekked from household to garage to car trunk to some strange places. He has a lot more and I would wager something near a dozen different painters have all had a hand in their muster. I feel kinda honored to be part of such a diverse work.

You'll note, i'm sure, there are no banners. This is because I don't really do banners and neither does he. I think he's contemplating some kind of hanging shield motif, I dunno. What ever he goes with i'm sure the next craftsmen involved will add his or her unique aspect to the army.

6 comments:

  1. Nice, always good to get models painted and on the table. And what a nice friend helping him out with the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff...real eye candy and real good of you to lend a helping hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I realize this is a bit off topic, but I wanted to ask you a question about your vampire counts army.

    I came across an old post about in your blog recently while looking up alternatives for Games Workshop Zombies. How do the LotR Army of the Dead stack up size-wise with GW Skeletons and heroes? I'd like to use armored zombies and those models look pretty much spot on though I'm a bit concerned that the difference in scale will be too glaring.

    Thanks for any response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave and Captain I appreciate your comments :) both of you are fantastic painters and any good words for you are worth gold.

    Anon: the Army of the Dead are actually in pretty good scale. They work great as spirit hosts but are not the 'fatty' style of Warhammer. They may or may not be good as armored zombies. The armor they are wearing is really archaic looking and they have some great busted shields and damaged weapons but they are dynamic in their pose, most are leaning forward in a "go get them" style and if I remember right none have feet as they are supposed to be spirits. But honestly I think you could throw them into a mix of zombies and no one would really say anything. They are very nice models for undead to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

    I've been reading through your blog in the mean time and you've created some really impressive paintjobs. I've got you bookmarked so I think I'll enjoy reading through your archives.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Anon, my pleasure. I take it as a great compliment you would find my paint work impressive. :) I hope you enjoy the archives even though I'm a little mercurial at times. There are a lot of great painter/bloggers out there and I know they've been a great help to me as well!

    ReplyDelete

Counter