Monday, April 9, 2012

An Eclectic Mix (Vikings, Necrons, and Undead)

I have a lot of things on my paint board... tanks, carts full of zombies, stunty warriors, a Napoleonic cannon and crew, even some elephants (of a smaller scale of course). Occasionally something gets done, and in this case several things got done all at the same time.

The good, the bad, and the ugly?
First up is a cadre of Necron HQ's. We've got Imotekh the Stormlord, the Necron (over)lord from the annihilation barge, and a lowly Cryptek.
Look at my gauntlet!
Now look at my robe!
I'm obviously still using the same mostly boltgun metal color scheme, but it should be said this is pretty close to the color scheme depicted on the package for this guy. His cloak should be obsidian, but, I was brutalized by a poorly molded cape and as such it really didn't have the detail it should have.
Look into my crystal ball...
Do I have something on my back?
This is the lord/overlord from the annihilation barge box. It's a fairly nice model that can have an open hand if you wish, but I need orbs so it was 'orbed' so to speak. It will either serve as an overlord when Imotehk isn't tooling around the battlefield or as a lord, my only lord, with a warscythe. I built my destroyer lord by the old book when the staff of light was also a power weapon, something that it is not anymore (stupidly imho).
Zap zap zap!
Horrible caption, I know, but what ever. My only Cryptek and my first finecast at the same time. I am very pleased with him, the model has good detail and went together easily enough. I've used him two or three times now and so far he's been worth his relatively low points cost. The kit comes with an alternate hand that does not have an orb-like object in it, it's just a reaching claw. But the same staff no matter what. There are a lot of mods being sold on ebay but I don't know if I'd field more than two because frankly I soak up my points in so much other stuff.

On the fantasy front I've needed a doom wolf for my dire wolf pack for a long time. I won a classic metal doom wolf off ebay, NIB, and was totally pumped. I put him together and painted him...
Grrrr...
...and he is small, so so small in comparison to the other wolves. I went with a white coat with bloody lips and bright white fangs to make him stand out from my other dire wolves which are all grodey, dark, and MUCH larger. He'll do the job though and it will be clear who the boss of the pack is...just not clear why he's so tiny.

Finally, remember the vikings I kept mentioning?
Anyone seen Erik the Viking?
Run there's a troll coming!
Well these are some of the worst paint jobs I've produced for a long time. I debated putting them on here but ultimately I want this blog to reliable show the work of an average painter, and this is the work of an average painter. I struggled with them terribly and just couldn't get my groove going on them. At some point you have to cut your losses and just base the bastards so that's what I did. Those are 2x2" bases and I plan to use them in several kinds of historical games if I ever get the chance. I've got a box of Saxon Theigns awaiting assembly to face off against them, and as soon as I do EVERYTHING else i'll get to them ;)

Till next time, may your dice always roll well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter