Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Death from the Skies....?!

Games Workshop seems to generate a lot of huzzah any more. It is easily the most critically analyzed company in the model/gaming industry and maybe I'm getting old or maybe I am becoming just another "Fan Boy" but I just don't get most of it. I'm not going to jump into all the talking points of these arguments but I do want to hit on something recent. This...
...for some reason this has caused all kinds of stir. I think the jist is that people are upset that:

  1. This is a product you can only buy from GW directly.
  2. It is reprint information from various other sources.
...which really confuses me. This is pretty standard from a company that has its own periodical and i'm not sure why the stores would want to carry this? It is relatively inexpensive and frankly probably isn't going to have much of a selling volume. I would like to have it mostly because I don't subscribe to White Dwarf and I totally dig the photography of models which I find inspirational just like I do my fellow blogger's postings. 

And about point 1, maybe it's because I grew up playing AD&D but these magazine compendiums just seem normal to me. I can remember buying "Best of Dragon" several times and recognizing parts of later rule books having originated in Dragon and Dungeon magazines. I thought it was responsible for a company to make a compendium of their best articles and rules bits to buy easily. 

: /

Maybe I'm just insane, but I'm not the only one. It is already sold out. 

3 comments:

  1. I'll give you my best interpretation of the latest tempest in a teapot.

    1. There is a vocal, internet-active component of the GW / 40k community who view 40k as primarily a competitive / tournament based undertaking.

    2. For whatever reason, a considerable portion of their self-worth is invested in "proving themselves" via competitive 40k.

    3. 40k is a rules-creep game; you can derive a significant advantage in play by thoroughly exploiting newly-revealed units, mechanics, and abilities.

    4. Consequently, one's ability to continue to derive self-worth from 40k relies on access to the newest models and rules.

    5. GW has the temerity to charge prices at the upper end of the product spectrum for such new models and rules.

    Best I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I certainly never took into consideration the tournament scene. By no means is 40k a "balanced" war game but that doesn't really bother me as war really isn't balanced. The prices GW charges does vacillate considerably imho. Some of their models are priced fairly, some are a good deal, and they definitely apply a financial penalty to elite units most of the time.

      Delete
  2. 1. Selling 95% of your product through multiple channels, and then cutting those channels out of 5%, especially when that 5% is a "must-have" is frustrating for those who only shop through those other channels--and even more for those other channels who would like to sell this product so their customers don't leave the store to go to GW to buy it.

    This speaks to GW's long history in the market, which was built up, not by GW retail stores, but by local stockists who, now that the market is built, GW has attempted to burn in numerous ways over the years.

    2. It isn't that it reprints rules from other sources--if that's all that it did, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, it both reprints AND adds new content--new, must-have content, since flyers are so potent and all Space Marine players want them.

    And it's not cheap, given that much of the content is re-hashed (not original). Adding insult to injury of course is that it reprints from Crusade of Fire and White Dwarf, meaning that if you do have those (and paid their not cheap prices), you really only need a thin section of this book.

    ReplyDelete

Counter