Friday, March 1, 2013

Warhammer Fantasy: Something I Don't Like in the Rules

Short post but something I just want to throw out.

In the rules for 8th edition it states on page 89 under "Close Combat Weapons" that a model armed with a special weapon can not elect to fight with its hand weapon instead. The reasoning given is that each soldier trains to become skilled with a particular weapon, and if this happens to be a special weapon then it will not grant an advantage to its enemy by using a weapon it is less skilled with.

In general I guess this makes sense, I can't dispute it too much but I can say it is not really dead on. There are a couple situations where I cannot help but feel that these soldiers (though plastic and metal they are) would consider an alternative to their "special weapon". This situation would we when wielding their hand weapon allowed them the use of their shield for shield wall purposes. In general (another general I know) I think the inability of the game to allow mixed units of weaponry is a slight weakness in the rules but especially in units armed with halberds, hand weapons, and shields. The shields are made use of when the unit is under missile attack increasing their save but they stow the shields in close combat as the halberd takes two hands to use. I just don't always see that happening and there have been many times my temple guard rolled up on a strong enemy and they would have benefited more from a shield wall as opposed to the strength bonus from halberds.

Some reenactors ready to kick butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter