Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Ray Harryhausen R.I.P.

There are a handful of individuals I credit with defining my views of fantasy and how I see the world of the fantastic in my mind.

J.R.R. Tolkien
Ursula K. Le Guin
Robert E. Howard
E. Gary Gygax
Larry Elmore
Jeff Easley

...and Ray Harryhausen. Who arguably was the first to establish my interest in the genre through his fantastic animations in film, especially the Sinbad movies.
He passed away yesterday, which is a shame that another wonderfully influential person of the genre is gone but he lived a very full life from what I can gather.

That list above is growing shorter. It really makes one feel their age doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. It's a good list ;) Elmore's a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Elmore pretty much defined fantasy for me :)

      Delete

Counter