Friday, June 7, 2013

Tron Uprising, Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition, and Inspiration...

So I have finished watching the first (and to date only) season of Tron: Uprising on Netflix and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Tron was a movie that had a dynamic impact on my childhood, much like many thousands of others, and the Tron: Legacy movie was something I really enjoyed.

Well my sons have been exploring their possible interests in role playing games and I was given some 4th edition core books just because he doesn't like 4th. As I sat watching Tron: Uprising's last episode and flipping through these books to reacquaint myself with the rules I had some inspiration.

It seems to me that it would be just GREAT to run a game of Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition as if it WAS in fact a computer simulation. That the characters (avatars) were aware of the game world being just that, a game world, and embracing the mechanics instead of trying to paint over them with too much fluff. Instead let the story be just that and let the players as their characters speak freely of levels, and stats, and scores. Give out the difficulty scores, let them know hit points and armor class. Just open it up completely much like the Tron world is.
As an aside I love the dragon born terribly!
I can't help but feel this might give many players what they are looking for. The stories that the players play through can be just as involved and just as much fun. It just takes a different form in presentation that can allows players to blend with the mechanics of the game more.

Now this beings said, don't take me wrong. I am an old school role player and when I learned the game you didn't get to know anything. It was a simulated reality so you were up against what ever you perceived as a player. There were no skills further than what you brought to the table and your ability to roll a twenty-sided die. I appreciate a good game where the players embrace ROLE over ROLL but 4th edition doesn't seem to suit that as well. There is a lot of mechanics involved and rather than building a weak pretense for the shifting and square blast ranges. Plus I can't help but feel that would open up some very sweet role playing opportunities (ironic I know) that fit the context built. Notice how in all 4e artwork the dwarfs all have dwarf equipment even though you just KNOW they found that hammer somewhere, well, with this context that is simple. A character claims an item then it's code changes to suit the character's race. That's the simple take, the higher end take is this. Items that code DOESN'T change are artifact in quality giving an indicator to the player and the item can change over time to indicate the character's mastery over it.

Truly this is just spit balling but it feels like a good fit for this rules set, what are your thoughts Mr. Internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter