Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Rogue Trader and Vikings

So while reading through my shiny (well maybe not shiny) new Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader rulebook I was surprised to find this excerpt...
...it fascinates me that they never intended to have a full range of plastic vehicles. I'm sure Rick Priestly would laugh heartily now! I have to admit I kind of like the idea of modeling your own vehicles as much as I like the current line. Of course the game was a lot less organized and compartmentalized than it is now. The very thought of the space marine forces then would make current space marine players shudder.

This fine body of text is really giving me some inspiration. I have all these wonderful ideas (okay like 3) for scenario driven games. At the same time I can't help but feel all those detractors that Games Workshop has turned evil are really just whiny butts. I will admit, the RT rules are more raw, but raw isn't necessarily better. I think people far to often limit their creative desires based on what is written rather than what is not written. It seems that the old school gamer in me has charge as I don't have a particular problem with my war gaming opponents not following strict codex structure. If you think of something cool to play then play it. I really only think I'd call foul if it was a situation where they are trying to exploit my good intentions instead of exploring their imagination.

"No really. I think an all dreadnought space marine chapter where they have armor 14 from advanced war gear and 3+ saves from conversion fields is a great idea!" ...every club has THAT GUY in it huh?

Also, I've discovered a wonderful game. Volgarr the Viking, what a wonderful hail back to the days of Rastan and Black Tiger!
This game is just fantastic, hard, but fantastic. If you are a fan of fantasy side scrollers this is one you have to look into. Very affordable (less than a miniature hero will cost ya) and so rich it almost tastes like chocolate when you're playing it. My sons had a problem with the fact that you can't save which means when you stop playing you got to start over from the beginning but I personally found this to be a wonderful reminder of my childhood. I mastered Haunted Castle when I was a kid and Rastan gave me a bloody nose over and over but you just kept coming back like Tyler Durden. This kind of game makes me yearn for a board game that could work half as well, or a multi-player variant since i'm so spoiled on multi-player.

Sigh, well, one can dream can't they?

So go check out Volgarr and all his awesomeness so that you can be a viking champion as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter