Thursday, March 10, 2016

Where has the time gone?

A lot has happened in my life since last September. The vast majority of it has nothing to do with this blog or the hobby it revolves around so i'll not write about it here but some of it does have to do with the point of this blog, which I sometimes forget.

The "new year new army" disease has taken a firm hold in my hobby groups and I think it's been a good thing in general. I have started building the Astra Militarum army of my dreams and on top of that working on adding to my Bolt Action British and German forces. Also I am starting to play around with Beyond the Gates of Antares as well as keeping up on my X-wing skills, fiddling with some Star Trek attack wing, and usually playing a weekly D&D session with my sons.

Quite a handful I know!

My dream AM army involves a lot of infantry. I'd always liked the idea of an army of basic infantry men with their transports confronting terrible enemies like Tyranids and Chaos where it would seem their is no way they could be victorious but through their rugged bravery, combined firepower, and guts they are able to overcome. I decided I should have at least 2 infantry platoons and not take the short cut of 2 veteran squads to fulfill my troop choices. That means the core of my army will have fifty soldiers and six tanks.

I've painted up a couple pieces of armor that I got in trade so far...
This is a Manticore I got in trade and while it doesn't fit my original plan anything festooned with huge missiles I will find a place for. The front side panel has my army colors; Caliban Green and Codex Gray which will be the standard for the infantry. The tank itself is actually "German Field Grey" from VMC an I think i'll use that for all of my non-transport armor.

Also I've finished one Chimera...


This is "Midnight Blue" from Delta Ceramcoat brand. I am going to make all the transports this color and have the heavy flamer forward mounted. If I recall the rules right I should be able to move 6", shoot the multi-laser (or heavy bolter in this case) then fire my heavy flamer as well. With a full unit in one that is also another two guys shooting from the access point and another six from the mounted lasguns. That is a lot of firepower, not strong enough to take on the likes of a Wrightknight or similar epic size enemy but I have a Hellhammer for those.

Also I'm going to mix in some Imperial odds and ends such as the assassins and the Inquisition. In fact I plan to use an Inquisitor as my warlord for the army, some kind of story about him taking control of the Astra Militarum to fight chaos or what have you.
Here are a few pieces I'm looking to add in. The space marine is from the Dark Vengeance box set and I think i'm going to mix in that squad as a dying chapter that have sworn themselves to the Inquisitor's cause. The other two are for the inquisitorial henchmen band or maybe as other AM characters. 

Well I think that is enough for now. I could go on about my Matilda tank in progress or my thoughts on the Ghar from GoA but I don't have pictures of any of that yet so I'd rather wait until I can accompany text with photographs. 

If you've read all this I'd like to take a moment to thank you. There are a lot of blogs out there and many are more impressive than mine. I'd like to think what mine brings to the world is the feeling that anyone can get into this hobby and have fun with it. 

So until next time, I hope all your dice roll good for you...unless you're playing me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter